- Media Contact
- SPN Mentor
At the broadest level, my research concerns human well-being. In particular, I am focused on researching how people generate the sense that their lives are meaningful, as well as investigating the benefits of living a meaningful life. One of the more interesting things (to me at least) this research has revealed is that people's search for meaning in life functions pretty much independently from whether or not they feel their lives have meaning. So, one line of my research is invested with better understanding what people are actually doing as they search for meaning, and illuminating the dynamics between the search for and presence of meaning in life.
To get at this question, I've done a number of daily experience sampling studies that allow the analysis of what daily events and pursuits are associated with heightened perceptions of meaning in life, as well as with variations in the intensity of the daily search for meaning.
My current research is looking at interventions to increase meaning, and the role of meaning in stress and health.
- Close Relationships
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Emotion, Mood, Affect
- Health Psychology
- Helping, Prosocial Behavior
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Organizational Behavior
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Self and Identity
Research Group or Laboratory:
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Kashdan, T. B., Barrios, V., Forsyth, J. P., & Steger, M. F. (2006). Experiential avoidance as a generalized psychological vulnerability: Comparisons with coping and emotion regulation strategies. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 44, 1301-1320.
- Kashdan, T. B., & Steger, M. F. (2007). Curiosity and pathways to well-being and meaning in life: Traits, states, and everyday behaviors. Motivation and Emotion, 31(3), 159-173,
- Kashdan, T. B., & Steger, M. F. (2006). Expanding the topography of social anxiety: An experience-sampling assessment of positive emotions, positive events, and emotion suppression. Psychological Science, 17, 120-128.
- Kashdan, T. B., Uswatte, G., Steger, M. F., & Julian, T. (2006). Fragile self-esteem and affective instability in posttraumatic stress disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 44, 1609-1619.
- Steger, M. F. (2006). An illustration of issues in factor extraction and identification of dimensionality in psychological assessment data. Journal of Personality Assessment, 86, 263-272.
- Steger, M. F., & Frazier, P. (2005). Meaning in life: One link in the chain from religiousness to well-being. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 52, 574-582.
- Steger, M. F., Frazier, P., Oishi, S., & Kaler, M. (2006). The Meaning in Life Questionnaire: Assessing the presence of and search for meaning in life. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 53, 80-93.
- Steger, M. F., Frazier, P., & Zacchanini, J. L. (2008). Terrorism in two cultures: Stress and growth following September 11 and the Madrid train bombings. Journal of Trauma and Loss, 13, 511-527.
- Steger, M. F., Hicks, B. M., Kashdan, T. B., Krueger, R. F., & Bouchard, T. J., Jr. (2007). Genetic and environmental influences on the positive traits of the Values in Action classification, and biometric covariance with normal personality. Journal of Research in Personality, 41, 524-539.
- Steger, M. F., & Kashdan, T. B. (2007). Stability and specificity of meaning in life and life satisfaction over one year. Journal of Happiness Studies, 8, 161-179.
- Steger, M. F., Kashdan, T. B., & Oishi, S. (2008). Being good by doing good: Daily eudaimonic activity and well-being. Journal of Research in Personality, 42, 22-42.
- Steger, M. F., Kashdan, T. B., Sullivan, B. A., & Lorentz, D. (2008). Understanding the search for meaning in life: Personality, cognitive style, and the dynamic between seeking and experiencing meaning. Journal of Personality, 76, 199-228.
- Steger, M. F., Kawabata, Y., Shimai, S., & Otake, K. (2008). The meaningful life in Japan and the United States: Levels and correlates of meaning in life. Journal of Research in Personality, 42(3), 660-678.
- Steger, M. F. (2011). Meaning in life. In S. J. Lopez (Ed.), Handbook of positive psychology (2nd ed.). Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Abnormal Psychology
- Empirically Supported Treatments
- Intellectual Assessment
- Interviewing and Intervention in Psychotherapy
- Practicum and Field Study Courses in Counseling
- Psychological Assessment
- The Scientific Pursuit of Happiness
Department of Psychology
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-1876
United States of America
- Fax: (970) 491-1032